Thursday, August 13, 2015

Poppin' for Pike

Got our for a float with some cool dudes.  Met up at a boat launch on a Northern stretch of the Des Plains River (DPR) about 7 AM.  Spotted this at the boat launch out of the corner of my eye, and got a good lauch out of it.  I have a simple humor, and I'm a little upset, I didn't think about this. HA!

Here's looking at you!
The Float Crew this trip......

Urban Assault Fly Fishing - Dave
Marcus - DPR Pro
No Intro needed.
Not pictured are Dan and Saul.
4 Kayaks, 1 Canoe, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Dave tied up some big weedless frog flies, and gave me one.  It's just a super sized version of a Gutless Frog pattern, and they're awesome!  Both Dave and I tossed the top water for awhile.  I had a small pike fly completely out of the water trying to eat it...It was AWESOME!!  Unfortunately, none of us hooked up with any top water pike.  I was 0 for 3 or 4...I forget.  Dave hooked up with 2 pike, and I forgot how the others fared.

9 AM...is it too early for a cold one on the river????.................NAHHHHH

Thanks, for bringing the brewski's, Dave!! I got 'em next time.
UA Dave and a solid DPR Pike.
DanK got a good shot of UA Dave and I in his canoe approaching the take out spot, and getting in some lasts casts.  This is the very spot that I caught my first pike on the DPR.  T'was a good float Gents.  You would have thought with the overcast conditions that the fishing would have been popping off, but it wasn't.  Next time!


4 comments:

  1. This post (& the one prior) are great! I love the humor, and the fishing action. The superhero titles are an excellent touch! I need to catch a pike someday, have never caught anything like that before...pike, muskie, or even pickeral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael!!!

      The pike aren't big here 30" is a trophy catch in my home rivers, but they are super duper fun! With the right gear, you could possibly tenkara for pike here on the DPR. #tenkarpike

      Delete
  2. I love pike fishing even though I've only done it a time or two. Here's looking at you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever make it out this way, again, I'll put you on some pike, Howard!

      Delete