Thursday, April 25, 2013

That's more like it!!!

Few days ago, I was leaving work a few hour later than I expected. As I was driving out of the parking lot I noticed there was someone fishing, so, being the curious type I drove over toward the person. Turns out that they were fly fishing, and I got really excited then. Got out and walked over to him, and turns out it someone that I know that works in the same building. Who would have thought!

I got my gear out of my car, and fished with him. I have only tried fishing the lake at work a few times with no luck a month ago. Today was a whole new story. He was throwing a black wooly bugger size 8 I believe, and he caught a big crappie, and then he caught another big crappie. I wasn't using a black wooly bugger, and I was catching nothing. 

So, I made the logical choice in switching to a black wooly bugger. After a few casts I hooked into a few bluegill, and then some nice crappie. Then I started fishing off of one of the small bridges, and tied on a larger wooly bugger, and what do ya know...hooked up with a decent sized bass! Unfortunatly, she fought like a dead fish. She was also full of eggs (I'm assuming) After jumping down the side of the bridge and catching a rear end full of thorns from the bush I was trying to avoid, I was able to release her, and call it a night.

Bluegill
Some really nice crappie here. They were all averaging this size.
Damn thorn bushes!
I assume she was full of eggs.


6 comments:

  1. Probably was full of eggs. They are bedding pretty heavily right now. Nice crappie. I wish we all would start calling those speckled bass. I really have a hard time explaining I caught a lot of crappie yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am starting to see the bass bed all over the place now. I don't mind catching crappie, especially, if they're of that size.

      Delete
  2. Justin
    When you go back you should carry your ice box and keep those crappie--excellent table fare. Glad you released the sow bass, she will produce lots bass for the future. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about catch & release. The only fish I do keep are perch - if I am fishing for them. I usually do in June on Lake Michigan, and have myself a little fish fry the same day.

      Delete
  3. Always cool to stumble on a new spot and fellow angler. Looks like the catching has begun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most def! It's even better that the lake is on the property I work at. Haha can't wait until it warms up some more. I've heard stories of some monster bass in here.

      Delete