Tuesday, April 2, 2013

6 Days - Zero Fish

So, I've been out fishing 6 times thus far (Not consecutively), and I've only accomplished to shake the rust off of my cast. Which is fine by me...for now anyway. Here is a day by day recap w/pictures of my outings.

Day 1: Salt Creek
I had zero expectations, because, there was still quite a bit of snow on the ground, and the temperatures were still boucing between the teens and 30's.
This snowball took a size 6 black wooly bugger.


Day 2: Downers Grove Pond
After work I decided to fish a decent sized pond. When I arrived I took notice that there was still quite a bit of ice on the lake. It was a beautiful day, the temperature was up, and the sun was shining. I was actually hoping to catch my first fish of the year, but she stood me up.
I was dressed to impress, but my first fish of the year stood me up.

Day 3: Songbird Slough
This lake is litterally down the street from me. It's only good for sunfish. It was an extremely windy day, but the sun was shining, and that's good enough for me. Only thing caught was this tree....
What not to do while fly fishing....catch trees.

Day 4: Meachem Grove
What a beautiful day this was. That was about it. No fish, but I got some nice pictures.

Day 5: Lake Michigan
Wasn't planning on fishing, but while in downtown Chicago I decided to give the Big Pond (Lake Michigan) a few cast's with a spoon, because, I know the browns and salmon are moved in. Didn't catch a thing, and I neither did anyone else I talked with. No fly rod today.

Day 6: Songbird Slough
I now know why I dislike this lake. I talked with a guy that was fishing nightcrawlers under a bobber, and he said that he heard from a guy, who was talking with another guy, about how they shocked the lake and hardly any bass came up. Mostly carp and catfish." So, I just casted with extremely little expectations.
My weapon of choice.

8 comments:

  1. Once it warms up you'll make up for these days. I took the day off yesterday. Hiked about 7miles and had only 1 fish to show for it. Not the fish I was after either. It was a nice day and it felt great to be outside. Sometimes that still isn't enough with out the tug of a fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree with you, Kevin. What did you catch, and what were you after?

      Delete
  2. Still beats the nine to five grind anyday. That lake just down the street with few bass and lots of carp...once it warms up that's where I'd be spending my afternoons. The first time you sight fish to a tailing carp and watch him hoover up your fly and then peel off flyline down to your backing you'll forget all about those bass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a reminder set on my phone for me to check that lake out again once it does warm up. I will most def be after those carp!

      Delete
  3. Keep at it, it just means your first fish is going to be a big fish. That is the way I look at it at least. Fishing is only going to get better as it warms up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive vibes! The first fish wasn't a lunker, but it was a fish, and that's better than no fish. haha Can't wait until the weather is consistantly warm!

      Delete
  4. Justin
    Anytime one can use the Orvis combo on any outing it is a plus. On slow days on the water I tend to use the time to practice different cast and learning how to place the fly in those not to get to areas. Take heart better days are ahead for you and that awesome combo you are using. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with my Orvis combo immediately after the first cast. The days I wasn't catching fish, I was practicing my cast. I just recently learned how to roll cast, so, I was doing some work with that.

      What rod 'n reel do you use?
      I have an 8'6" Orvis Access 5wt combo

      Delete