Thursday, January 15, 2015

Fungi!

One of my favorite things to photograph while out fishing or hiking are mushrooms. I was going through some of my old photos and came across these 3. I have since purchased a book off of Amazon.com "Mushrooms of Illinois" so I can better understand the different types.

I am horrible at IDing these things, which is 1 reason I will never take them home for my own consumption. 


Going through this book, each good mushroom seems to have a doppelganger just waiting to trick you, and the outcome is not favorable.

No idea....can anyone else ID these?


This next picture below is my all time personal favorite fungi photo. If I am correct, these are called "Velvet Foot" (Flammulina Velutipes), but what the heck do I know. I'm just a fish bum.


I am almost 100% positive that the fugi below are Oyster Mushrooms. 


(PLEASE correct me if I am wrong with any one of those mushroom IDs.)

9 comments:

  1. love the ones that look like turkey tails like in the first one. :) the second one makes me crave caramel candy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha turkey tails! It totally does look like them!

      Delete
  2. Me, I'm in a fog when it comes to mushrooms. Buy them from the supermarket. Safer that way. Don't forget Morel Mushrooms. Seems everybody likes those fried in butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Mark. Even though I have studied this book, I don't want to risk it. I haven't run across any morels, yet. Though, I haven't hunted them like some people. I know those who do hunt them, already know where they're growing.

      Delete
  3. Not sure. Mushrooms irk me for some reason. They're like plants...but they're not. They freak me out when I come across them. I usually head in the other direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! They are a little weird, but I don't think they'll put up much of a fight. I think you can take them with your Tenkara light saber.

      Delete
  4. My dear mother used to say, eat them, they don't taste. My response was then why eat them, they certainly don't look good. But the pictures are nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sound advice. I use Montreal steak seasoning when I sautee them. Delicious!

      Delete
  5. I don't know the identity of any of them, sorry I can't help. However, I do like all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete