Monday, September 8, 2014

Bald Eagle

While driving back from the Northwoods of Wisconsin, my buddy Fat Gordo and I passed by a bald eagle eating a doe that was on the side of the road. We quickly made a U-turn, but a passing semi truck scared the eagle off of the deer.

Here's a terrible picture of the bald eagle after the semi truck passed by.
After a short while, the eagle just walked around, and then took off into some nearby trees. We were quick to follow the eagle down the road, and to where it was perched. I got out of the car to take some pictures of the eagle and all of it's beauty. 

As I got closer, the bird started to sway and fidget, like it was preparing to take off. I set my GoPro camera to the burst shot setting with hopes of getting shots of this raptor taking off. As I stood almost under the tree, I could hear my buddy Fat Gordo say from the car, "he's gonna go, he's gonna go!" ....after a few more fidgets and a lift of the tail, he went...number 2 that is.

My buddy and I could not control our laughter, because, we were both so sure that he was going to take off. We both would have put money on it. Shortly after the eagle took off, and I missed the opportunity to get those take off pictures, because, I was busy laughing at what had happened.

America.
Thankfully, I was not directly under the tree during the encounter. Although, I hear if a bird poops on you it's good luck, I wonder how much luck a bald eagle would have brought me. Ha

8 comments:

  1. well, first off, i was jealous as i've never seen a bald eagle in the wild. but you got me laughing - love your friend's name and also the #2. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to live where I live, and able to see these beautiful birds.

      Delete
  2. Only like the coolest bird of prey in the USA!!!! Huge huh? always bigger than I expected

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I see them I am in awe of their size and wing span.

      Delete
  3. If you want to get pooped on by a bird, go to the beach. Seagulls have awesome accuracy. We see quite a few Bald Eagles out this way. I've posted as many pictures as I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look for those old posts of yours, Mark. Look forward to seeing your West coast eagles! I'm also well aware of the accuracy that seagulls have. haha

      Delete
  4. Justin, that is almost too funny to think about. Kudos to you for attempting to take the take off picture of this beautiful bird. Watching Eagles is a trill for me when I get the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a thrill for me every time, too. Thanks, for the props, Mel! I was actually worried that the eagle was going to swoop down and attack me, and my friend was going to record it, and I was going to end up on that show - When Animals Attack. Haha

      Delete