Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The DPR

It's that time of year when I hunt for teeth. I'm referring to Northern Pike, and Musky. I have caught many pike, but musky seem to elude me. I know that I'm not alone.

This one time I hooked up with a musky, but that was about it. I was bass fishing, and had an 8lb test leader on. My prayers of a the hook being set in the perfect place were not met. I was broke off right in front of me.

I took my kayak out for it's first float of the year on the Des Plaines River (DPR). The outing was short, and upon arriving at my desired put in, I was upset to find that the chain with the closed sign was still up.

Plan B.

Before I put my kayak in the water I made a few casts near a big storm pipe, and I was greeted with an explosion, but no hook up. Then I casted straight out into the river and watched a pike about 17 inches short strike my single pike fly about 5-9 times. It was quite comical.


Belmont Ave.
It was going to be a short outing with the sun starting to set earlier as Fall quickly approaches. I decided to paddle up river and float, anchor, and fish my way back. I ended up going 1 for 3, hooking up with a hammer handle.


Shark week or pike week
Not too long ago a friend of mine hooked up with a pike estimated at 34 inches, a real trophy for the DPR, but there are rumors of 37 +inchers roaming these waters. Looking forward to a weekend outing where I have nothing but time.


Bitchin'

15 comments:

  1. My one experience fishing for pike was in Canada years ago. I've got a 34 incher hanging on my wall. Probably the last I will see. Now Musky, that's a different story. If I ever get the chance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get the chance at musky, you will most lilkely run into some pike, as well...or no? That's a nice size pike. What did you catch it on?

      Delete
  2. I miss that river so much. Please fish it more. I got a few spots north of Gurnee if you are interested...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely interested!! That river is so much fun and so easy to paddle.

      Delete
  3. Sorry. I have no idea what you said after "as Fall quickly approaches". I kinda got dizzy and pulled a Howard when I read that

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like it has just about the same number of teeth as a shark. It's be a while since I landed a Pike, but the ones I did had a bunch of teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a bunch of teeth, and they're a blast to catch with a fly rod in hand!

      Delete
  5. Love Esox of all flavors. Heck I even have a Muskie tattoo. I have spent countless hours and dozens of trips chasing Muskie. Yet I have only boated 3. Stick with it, it will happen. They don't call them the fish of 10,000 casts for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely, man! I am not a quitter ha. I have heard so many stories of guys spending hours, and days chasing these apex predators only to not even see one or to only get a follow. What did you catch your 3 on?

      Delete
  6. One mean looking fish, I did see one today while fishing on my home lake, but have never landed one, a work in progress for me.--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, you have the opportunity to catch one soon, Bill!

      Delete
  7. I want to catch a pike! I saw a video of a pike biting a guy wo was trying to revive it in the water, quite brutal! Good job on the pike, bro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've gotta watch out for those teeth! Just remember not to lip grab a pike, musky or walleye and you won't have the same fate as the guy in the video you watched. Ha

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It was Shark Week, I was wearing my Shark Week t-shirt, and I was fishing for fish with teeth. It was a very fitting tag. :)

      Delete