Saturday, June 7, 2014

Froggin'

Took one of my good friends DANK, and another buddy GEO to the honey hole I found last year for the first time. I've been trying to get him to come out, but just never happened until now. He doesn't fly fish, so, he was wondering what would work...I told him to bring his frogging rod, and his finesse set up for a weedless rubber worm. DANK is a Jedi Master with a frog, and I knew that he wouldn't even need his finesse set up on this lake, because, the weeds have started to take over. I have never caught a bass using a frog with my regular rods, and I am truly envious of his skills.

Foggin' force is strong with DANK
DANK with a tank!
GEO hooked up with his first top water fish of the year with this fine specimen. 
GEO and a beautiful bass
A lot of bass were caught. The aerial display put on by the bass was quite impressive. On 2 occasions I had 2 bass come straight out of the water to take my frog fly offering. It reminded me of Discovery Channels Shark Week and how the great white sharks attack and fly out of the water at Seal Island.

Air and water show participant
I love top water!

6 comments:

  1. Justin
    Truly outstanding and congrats to you guys for getting in on what I consider the cream of the crop when it comes to warm water top action. Anything fished on top with results is the absolute ultimate---enjoyed the post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill!!! The person that introduced me to fly fishing sold me on the top water action. I, too, consider top water fishing to be the absolute ultimate!

      Delete
  2. Nothing gets the blood pumping like watching a big bass inhale a frog off the surface. Great looking fish...well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yeah!! I always look forward to the top water bite come the end of spring. It's really a great feeling seeing those bass strike, especially, when the water is calm and they just come exploding out from underneath.

      Delete
  3. Pretty sweet. Looks like an awesome day of topwater! Nothing like watching a bass rise out of nowhere to destroy a fly or lure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I'm not the one fishing the frog fly/lure, I get just as pumped up watching a bass strike top water. I spent about 1/2 of this just outing watching my buddies work their weedless frogs over thick heavy cover.

      Delete