Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Goat Head Gear Sole Spikes

I've been following Goat Head Gear on Instagram for a long while now, and their product seems to have a solid following, and I really enjoy the stuff that they post.

I purchased the combo pack that included the sole spikes, and sole spikes driver. On a recent trip to Wisconsin's Northwoods I was out fishing on a river, and had a few close calls. I completely forgot that I never replaced the original studs that were missing from my wading boots. Luckily, I remembered that I tossed the sole spikes in my backpack when they arrived in the mail a few months before.


Not only did I replace the missing studs, I added a few extra in places that I knew traction was needed.

The next day I waded and fished for 7 hours without incident while wading across gravel, climbing boulders and trees. The sole spikes provided exactly what I needed out there on the water...TRACTION.

I will definitely be keeping these stowed away in my car just in case. I might even add some to my hiking shoes after it rains, to keep a solid grip on any of the trails/rock I hike on, and just remove them when I'm done. 

If your boots are in need of some replacement studs, I say you check out these Goat Head Gear Sole Spikes.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Justin, just dropped by to say thanks for signing up for Windknots & Tangled Lines and also for the review of the Goat Head Sole Spikes. I got a pair this Winter but haven't had a chance to use them yet. But like you, I'll be keeping them in my gear bag. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh crap...Howard found the place. lol

      I'm so torn on the studs. I have a set of Korkers wading boots and one set of soles has studs on it (other than myself when I wear them) and I don't know if I love them or hate them. I seem to prepare myself for a little bit of slide if Im going up or down any sort of rock face that has an angle on it. They always seem to catch something but I wonder if I'd slide at all without them? Just not used to them I suppose

      Delete
    2. Thanks, for stopping by, Howard! It's a great product, and I going to change out all of my studs for the Sole Spikes. I'll still keep my old ones in the container, just in case.

      Delete
  2. I have talked to a few people and they, too, are indifferent about the studs. I personally love them. They act as a cleat when I'm trying to walk up a muddy bank, and give me the traction needed when climbing rocks and boulders, and I haven't had any issues due in part to the studs. Everyone has their preferences.

    ReplyDelete