Sunday, March 2, 2014

It's a Midwest thing

Reasons why I have never gone ice fishing in the past:
1. I don't see the enjoyment of fishing from a hole in the ice.
2. If there's ice, that usually means it cold....not a big fan.
3. Being a bigger guy, I have a fear of stepping on the ice, breaking it, and falling through.
4. I like to move around when I fish, not sit in one spot.
5. Did I mention that it's usually cold out?
I knew not to expect this...but there nothing wrong with wishful thinking, right!
So, I went ice fishing for the first time with a friend who had invited me out. He had an extra ice fishing rod, and I needed a fishy fix.

The outing was short, different, and exhausting. The ice was 16 inches thick, and a pain in the ass to auger for a first timer. After drilling my first hole through the ice and dropping a line, the action was immediate. I hooked up with 3 bluegill, one after another. FUN! Then the bite died. My buddy finished the short outing with 6 bluegill and 1 crappie.
CATCH
RELEASE

Did this change my mind about ice fishin...No.

Will I go ice fishing again...Yes, but I'm not spending a dime on ice fishing gear!

FISH EYE

***(For some reason this post went back to draft, and took changed on me.....WTF Google!)***

12 comments:

  1. Yeah without a shelter it can be brutal. Up north I have buddies with heated ice shacks. Now that's the life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that sounds luxurious! They probably have motorized augers, as well. I bet the ice is somewhere in the 30+ inch range. Crazy to think!

      Delete
  2. If I were in the company of those in the first picture, I just might take up ice fishing even at 67.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be an ice fishing enthusiast if that first picture were the case! haha

      Delete
  3. Always fun to try something new. I think I could only get into ice fishing if I had the full blow shack setup. Kind of like what they had on Grumpy Old Men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, man! That's the only kind of ice fishing that I think I might enjoy, as well. Sports talk radio, beer, a lazyboy and a heater. That sounds like the life

      Delete
  4. Ice fished for years. Now that I am (64) don't get out as much in cold weather. Would rather stay home and tie flies. Power Ice Augers and Ice huts are the way to go if one wants to be a serious ice fisherman. Ok, back to tying flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm with ya, Mel. I'd rather be tying flies, filling orders, and my own boxes. Something about tying just relaxes my mind, like fishing in the summer. No brain freezes here!

      Delete
  5. Once you pull a monster through the ice you'll be hooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, man. I honestly don't think it would be that enjoyable to me. I just love the hunt....wading or hiking around a river or lake, and casting out...rather than dropping a line, and waiting...in the same spot.

      Delete
  6. haha, the guy who was never going ice fishing has an ice fishing post

    love it!

    i agree, too cold with no shack and heater. Dan (navyfisher) is right though, one monster makes a difference

    im with you though, ice fishing is about hanging with friends, catching a few fish, and hot sausages on the ice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Justin
    I am with you when it comes to fishing in the cold, especially in the sub zero weather. There are some things I don't like about the south, but the warm weather here has to be a plus. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete