Monday, December 29, 2014

Winter DPR Float

I have been itching to get out on the Des Plains River (DPR) 1 last time this year, and I finally got my opportunity. After my morning workout, I loaded up my kayak, and headed toward the river. When I arrived at the launch, the sun was out blazing, and it was a very warm 35 degree's outside.


Paddled up river quite a ways. Pretty much my 2nd workout for the day - I was exhausted. My gear was kept to a minimum. It was hard for me to only bring my 10 wt fly rod, and 3 flies. The first 2 minutes of my float back to the landing, I had a very nice chunky 25+ inch northern pike sort of lazily explode out of the water in a terribly failed attempt to strike my fly. It kind of seemed like it didn't want to go after it, but had to. Sort of how I most of us feel about work sometimes. Don't really want to be there, but need to be. I anchored and casted like a billion times into the same area, but no dice...or pike.

That was the most action I received fishing on my float. I did, however, see a female deer standing near the bank, and soon after that,  I saw a raccoon walking the bank. They were probably just enjoying the beautiful weather just like me. 


Not wanting to end this beautiful day with a skunk. I loaded up my kayak, and headed towards an area I can get a decent cast from shore with my fly rod, not to mention, the spot is always good for at least 1 pike. Upon arrival I was happy to find no one else was there. The last few times I stopped here, there were some characters I didn't get a good vibe from.

If you look close, you can see the fly, flying.
Nothing on Side A, so, I flipped over to Side B.

Graffiti under the bridge.
Side B had the soothing sounds of thrashing water I was looking for.

These pike have dirty mouths.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was a small guy, but definitely bigger than a bluegill or any other pan fish.

      Delete
  2. Nice pike dude! I need to get back out there- got that pike itch! Maybe we can get one more run before the ice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully! I'd be down for another winter canoe float. I'll bring my kayak paddle just in case. Haha

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. That's practically summer weather, Howard! :)

      Delete
  4. I like fishing near bridges, too. I have had some of my best fishing on or around a bridge area. Not Pike, mind you, but, good fishing none the less. Nice set of teeth there!

    ReplyDelete