Thursday, December 18, 2014

Change Up

Earlier this week, I swapped out the hooks on my tying desk from the big 8/0 hooks I use for musky and pike, for size a size 14. I love to tie a variety of flies. I would go crazy if I had to tie the same pattern 100 times in a row, so, the change was good.

I don't know what you would call these, but it's basically a Copper John with a pheasant tail, with no legs. I left out 2 steps. Much more enjoyable for me to tie than the traditional Copper John, and the people I have tied this for have had equal amount of success.

Pheasant Tail Copper John Clone?


Materials
Size 14 Hook
Pheasant Tail
Medium Copper Wire
Peacock Hearl
Gold Bead (Copper or Gold)


6 comments:

  1. I have used similar patterns in the Driftless with fantastic results. Great tie man, they look killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sort of dissappointed in myself that I was unable to make a trip to the Driftless this year. It's good to know that similar flies have brought you success up there. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Certainly should be a very effective nymph. Includes (3) parts to a successful nymph in my book. That is the Beadhead, Pheasant Tail, Peacock Herl. Also, the wire is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the 2nd time I've heard - that's all you'll need. Thank you, Mel! Your words are encouraging!

      Delete
  3. I hear a Brown calling your name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about making a trip to Iowa or Michigan this winter. If I do, I hope I am able to find some browns or brooks.

      Delete