Sunday, May 4, 2014

Great Lakes Kayak Fishing Series: Walleye

After the purchase of my new kayak, +BrookField Angler, suggested to me that I join the Great Lakes Kayak Fishing Series.

The 3 part series is as follows:

May 3 - Walleye @ Fox Chain of Lakes
June 14 - Largemouth Bass @ Illinois River at Heritage Harbor Ottawa
September 6 - King Salmon @ Lake Michigan out of Manitowoc Marina

Yesterday was the first tournament for walleye. I have almost zero experience with walleye. I have never went out and targeted them in my fishing career. The only time they were ever caught by me, I was bass fishing.

The day had it's ups and downs, but overall it was a good day. The sun was out, but the wind was howling. It made it extremely difficult to paddle, but I managed. I toyed the idea of using my fly rod, but to decided to dust off my baitcasting and spinning rods. I casted crank baits, and dead drifted a 3" gulp leach all day. I ended the day catching 2 fish on my dead drifting leech, but none of them were walleye. At least I wasn't skunked!


I am not the fish you are looking for.

The guys who organized the event did a stellar job. There were a ton of giveaways on top of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes. They were even nice enough to start the grill and treat everyone to bugers and brats when everyone returned. So, a big "THANK YOU" goes out to them.

I believe there were 15 people in the field (just a guess). Only 2 fishermen hooked up with walleye. The guy who won first place caught 3 walleye (12, 14, and 23 inches). Second place went to an 8.5 in walleye. Since there were no other walleye caught, everyone else name was thrown into a pot, and the third place winner was randomly selected.

Looking forward to the next installment on June 14th. It's my birthday, so, I have to win, right? Haha. The fly rod will definitely be joining me on that one.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, at least you didn't get skunked. Still thanks for the report. Catching a Walleye on a fly rod is one of my life list goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading up on walleye, I believe the best time to catch them on a fly is early spring when they move into the shallows to spawn. Clouser minnow would do the trick. IMO

      It's one of the few midwest fish I have not caught on the fly, yet. Hope you get yours!

      Delete
  2. nice to see you up in my neck of the woods

    walleye on the chain are a feast or famine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much experience fishing the chain, except for a few boat piers near Pistakee Bay where we only catch bass. I am determined to catch a walleye now. Do you have any tips...favorite lure, plastics, etc?

      Delete
    2. I don't have much experience fishing the chain, except for a few boat piers near Pistakee Bay where we only catch bass. I am determined to catch a walleye now. Do you have any tips...favorite lure, plastics, etc?

      Delete