Tuesday, April 29, 2014

DIY - Scupper Plugs

So, I didn't get scupper plugs with my kayak. (The seller forgot about them, and I forgot to ask at the time. He doesn't know where they are.)

Had to make due. +BrookField Angler told me to go to the pet store and purchase foam balls found in the cat toy section. I went, but did not like the sponginess of those balls. (I just laughed.)

Today when I was walking around  Walmart, I seen the answer to my scupper plug dilemma, in the form of foam/spongy yellow practice golf balls. They were not as squishy as the cat balls, so, I think they will do a better job, and for $2, how could you go wrong. Worse comes to worse, I could make a floating key chain for any small tools, or keys with those foam golf balls.

4 Pack Foam Practice Golf Balls - My local Walmart had a 6 pack for $2....I have 6 scupper holes. It was destiny.


I also, scored a milk crate at work. Slowly but surly I am modifying this yak to my liking, and on the cheap!

Next project...sealing those 2 hatches to make them water tight. There was some water that came in with the rain we had the past 2 days. Not much, but it's supposed to be a dry hull....not a wet one.

7 comments:

  1. You might drop a note to the Kayak manufacturer about the missing plugs. My guess is that they will send you a set, free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely try that. Doesn't hurt to ask, right!?! ha

      Delete
  2. Good job! Foam cat toys, foam gold balls...same thing only different. I like the pretty pastel colors of the cat toys instead of the neon yellow. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't mind color, but they were just too darn squishy.

      Delete
  3. I cut my scupper plug out of a pool noodle. I have been keeping my eyes open for milk crates but they are scarce these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a bad idea, either. If these don't work out, I'll try that method. I was lucky to score a milk crate from the cafeteria at work.

      Delete
  4. Pretty innovative brother!

    ReplyDelete