Saturday, October 24, 2015

WADERS

My Bass Pro Shop White River waders I've had for the past 3/4 years have begun to fall apart this summer.  Last year a small leak started in the neoprene boot on my right foot.  I know there was no fixing that, and it really didn't bother me much.

Well, this summer the leak became worse, and then another leak started somewhere on my right leg started....and before I can find and fix that one I stared leaking in the left leg, and above my wading belt near my pockets.

For the past 2.5 months I've still been using them, but at the end of the day, I'm pretty much wet from the belly down.  I wasn't soaked, and it doesn't get that way immediately, so, it was still tolerable.


With winter looming, and some plans (hopes) to get out there and do some cold water/weather fishing, I think it might be time to retire those leaky waders.  That leaves me with the dilemma of choosing a new pair.  There are so many out there with different prices, construction, and negatives.  I just don't know which way to go.  I've done a ton of reading and research on review, and even picked a few of my friends brains about the ones they own.

Here is what it's been narrowed down to....



I'm leaning toward the Orvis Encounter waders, because, there are 2 Orvis stores in my area, and in the event that I don't like them I won't have to go far, but one of the bad things I have found about them is they have poor boot construction on their seams.

What waders are you all using?  (Maybe there's a pair I failed to look at or consider.)

Pros - Cons of those waders?

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Orvis Customer Service for their waders??


In advance - Thank you, to all who provide me with their insight!

****Note - I have tried LL BEAN waders in the past, and they just don't fit me right, and I am well aware of their no questions asked return policy.

12 comments:

  1. Nothing like a good pair of waders to keep your drawers dry. I have LL Bean waders, so nothing to input.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, for the info, Mark! Haha I don't know what it's like to be dry anymore, so, I'm sure once I get a new pair, it's going to be great!

      Delete
  2. I've had a pair of Simms Guide waders for years. The only issue was when I fell once I ripped them open. (My fault) I did a patch and no problems with leaks. Disclaimer* I don't wear waders much, so they haven't been put to any great tests but I love them when I have to wear them. They're expensive but I think they're the best. I haven't had Orvis waders, but my wife does. I can tell you that Orvis had #1 customer service and that to me speaks loudly. See if you can find some that match your sunglasses...maybe Barbie has some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!

      I wish there was waders that matched my sunglasses, Howard. I think DRYFT has black colored waders that could possibly match my sunglasses. I'll look at those, too. Ha

      I think I'm leaning toward some Orvis waders, though.

      Delete
  3. I have a pair of Orvis Silver-Sonic convertible waders and love them. I did a review from last Dec, http://looknfishy.blogspot.com/2014/12/orvis-ss-wader-review.html. I have been very happy with them. I appreciate the drop top when I'm paddling...nice to get some air and keep cool. You may appreciate that feature also. As far as Orvis CS goes...top notch. Never had to replace anything, several buddies have and no complaints. They did mess up an order 1 time. A few weeks later $25 gift card came in the mail along with my original $20 order. I'm a fan of Orvis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checked out your review of them. Glad you didn't write a review after 1 use of them like most reviews I find haha. I think you and I do some of the same fishing, and require the same needs for our waders. You have me leaning toward the Orvis convertible waders!

      Delete
  4. Look at LL Bean. They have a warranty that's #1.
    I have a pair of waist high waders now for 3 years and no issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the LL Bean waders fit me, because, there is a store 5 minutes from my home. There's just something about them that doesn't feel right when I put them on. I know their warranty and customer service it top notch. Thank you, for your input!

      Delete
  5. I used to wade 100 times a year and more and found out that when you wade that much, brand and cost doesn't matter. They burn out by then.

    Now, I average about 60 times a year. I like these. I'm on my second pair with no complaints other than when you get near the 100 mark, they leak, like all the others.

    http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-waders/waders/mens/sonic-pro-stocking-foot/

    Redington also makes excellent boots. I have these, but always remember, you get what you pay for. They're your feet. Wading is brutal on them. Don't pinch pennies.

    http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-waders/footwear/mens/skagit-river-boot-sticky-rubber/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for your input, Ken! I've been meaning to stop at Cabela's to see if they have any in stock for me to try on before I make a final decision. I should probably keep track of how many times I wade per year. I'd say it's in the 30's.

      I think I have at least 1 more season left in my boots, but I will definitely keep in mind your recommendation of those Redington boots. I know not to go the cheap route with boots, either. If you're wading and going to be on your feet a lot, you'll want to make sure your feet are as comfortable as they can get.

      Delete
  6. good luck with that. i hate shopping. (yes, an actual female that hates to shop.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!!! Thank you, T! The only shopping I can tolerate involves food, and fishing/outdoor gear.

      Delete