Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Mixed Bag

Over the weekend I did a little fishing in the backyard lake. Had a few things to do around the house, so, I had to stay close. There was also quite a bit of rain in the forecast, so, I didn't want to press my chances on my free time.


The backyard lake was on FIRE! I tossed around a size 6 olive woolly bugger, and I never had to change it. The fish were all over it. Bass, crappie, bluegill, and green sunfish/warmouths. I think the ratio of crappie to bass was 8:1.






So, I've had a few talks about this fish. In the past I have always referred to these as warmouths, but others say that their greenies (green sunfish). I've looked them up on the Google, and everything points to them being a greenie. Forever, I have called these warmouths....what are they!?!?!?!?!


9 comments:

  1. Don't know from here, but what a deal having a pond like that in your back yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A deal indeed! I have definitely been blessed.

      Delete
  2. Nice Justin. I don't know what that little guy is, but keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Howard! The weather has cooled off drastically, so, my attention has turned to the vise.

      Delete
  3. Justin, that does not have the appearance of a Green Sunfish that we have in Colorado. So I hesitate to call it that. However, my guess, would be some sort of mix between a Sunfish and Bluegill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a subject of debate for me now. On my google searches for Illinois fish, this shows as a green sunfish, but many others want to call it a war mouth. I still want to call it a war mouth. They're a gorgeous sunfish with orange accents on their fins, and blue on their face. I'll see if I can scrounge up a picture from a previous year of one from my local creek.

      Delete